|A brief summary of my work as a Summer Assistant at the The Textile Museum of Canada:
||[Sep. 25th, 2008|03:30 pm]
1. I have aided in 17 school and summer camp tours through the museum (as well as one outreach visit), regularly leading initial textile discussions and introducing the applied activities at the end of tours – between 390-420 youths from ages 4 to 14 have attended these tours. |
2. I have worked towards the total organization & cataloguing of the Teaching Collection:
• Gone through every item in the regional & sample shelving.
• Inventoried all but the raw materials for activities in fibrespace.
• Of the 613 records listed in Mimsy as Teaching Collection, I have checked through 480 records and filled out the majority of A-level information on 403 of them.
• Matched 82 unnumbered objects (from both shelving & fibrespace) to records on Mimsy that were not associated with any of the numbered items I had sorted through (using acquisition files).
• Inventoried & assessed the condition of all the items found in the Outreach Program Cases, created a listing including recommendations for item changes.
• Given every item a standard Home Location (specifying cupboard, column and shelf, like items in the permanent collection have) and, in applicable cases, a standard Current Location (i.e.; fibrespace, outreach boxes, etc.).
• Added the ‘Current Location’ of all items listed from fibrespace & the outreach boxes.
• Sifted through incorrectly labeled objects – many items were ‘named’ or given information via being typed in directly rather than linking through the thesauri.
• Created records for 36 unrecorded items and organized all other unrecorded items into a labeled shelving box.
• Helped with the organizing and disposal of 147 unneeded and unrecorded items which had been stored with the teaching collection.
• Created a file dedicated to adding missing donor names and terminology to the thesauri.
• Created an instructional file for volunteers to follow to complete the reorganizing of the teaching collection shelving for a more user-friendly arrangement.
3. Fibrespace upkeep – throughout the summer months I have checked on and tidied the activity centers in fibrespace on a daily basis to ensure visitors could enjoy the use of the equipment & have a variety of materials with which to try weaving, spinning, rug-making, braiding, etc.
4. I contributed a first draft of a call for submission for the Textile Museum Award of Excellence.
5. I took part in tidying during the cleaning of the fourth floor
6. I assisted with the visual planning and installation of the 5-cabinet display at the “South Asia Calling” Festival at the Harbourfront Center from August 8th-10th, which was quite successful.
7. To supplement the already employed visitor survey, I was involved in Janet & Patricia’s visitor tracking plan. This has included: visitor observance, research into traditional visitor tracking, development of a tracking map, and the introduction of a staff-administered, oral version of the currently circulated survey. From this I have completed a personal report on trends I have recognized during this process.
8. I photographed 143 Shadowboxes for the Shadowbox Silent Auction, and processed the images for use. Processing included adjusting colour levels, fixing lens distortion, cropping, and resizing every image to three different sizes/qualities (print, large/detail for web and thumbnail for web).
9. I was heavily involved in the production of Patricia’s Build-a-Garment display that will be part of the Cutting Edge exhibition in November. My work on this included: finding a mannequin supplier, sourcing and purchasing fabrics, planning piecework, sampling edge finishes, sourcing pleating services, dropping off and picking up pleating samples, and the full production of all 25 “garment” pieces in the display.